Family - Food - Home

{recipe} Corned Beef with white sauce (in the slow cooker)

Did I tell you how much I {heart} my slow cooker?
This recipe is a family favourite that my Grandmothers made, my Mum still makes and I cook on a regular basis (especially in winter) as my 3pickles just gobble it up! I still cook it on the stove top too, but now and then I'll pop it in the slow cooker, with the same results.

Corned Beef in the slow cooker
Place your piece of corned beef in the slow cooker
Then add:
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup of vinegar (malt vinegar is traditional, but if I don't have any in the pantry, then I just use whatever I have, white, brown etc...it never tastes any different to me!)
a couple of cloves (or a good pinch of ground cloves)
A peeled onion (cut it to fit in)
About 1 cup of water

Cook on high for about 1 hour, then turn down to low for another 4 hours.
Keep it in the water until you're ready to serve, then discard cloves and liquid.

White sauce
In a small saucepan, gently melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
Once melted, add 2 tablespoons of plain flour and whisk to combine (keep heat low)
Gradually add 1 cup of milk, while gently whisking to eliminate lumps.
Increase heat slightly and continue to stir until sauce thickens.
Add 1/2 cup of grated cheese (if you like it cheesy, otherwise omit ) and stir till smooth.
Add a tablespoon of finely chopped, fresh parsley (again optional)
Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Serve with corned beef and veggies.

Leftovers (if any)
If there are any leftovers, I like to make a pasta bake with them.
Chop meat and veggies into small bite-sized chunks.
Cook a some pasta and drain (I usually use penne)
Mix pasta, meat and veggies together with white sauce (I usually need to make more sauce)
Place in baking dish and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake till cheese is golden.


Linking to

Good Life WednesdaysPhotobucket

3 comments

  1. yum!
    am sitting here with a brown bag lunch and thinking your's looks so much tastier
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am a 62 year old male who for 28 years was married to the world's best cook. Unfortunately she passed away, I miss her terribly and also her cooking!!!!!!!!!!!
    So I started cooking "comfort foods" using first a crock pot, now a slow cooker.

    Have met a lovely 50 career woman who eats in restaurants (honestly her fridge is bare) and have stated cooking for her ( and her 50 year old single female "power women)"

    As it is winter in Australia Sunday night dinner at my place has become a tradition so last night was red wine beef casserole, week before lamb shanks, week before "classic" meatloaf and gravy (yumm), next week is osso bucco, week after corned beef and white sauce.

    So if a klutz like me can entertain 5 ladies each week there is no excuse for ANYONE not to be enjoying good, healthy, economical comfort food.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always used to read piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user
    of net therefore from now I am using net for content, thanks to web.


    Feel free to visit my web page: business search California

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Please feel free to leave one.