Family - Food - Home

{recipe} Coconut Bread

Like a quickie?
Me too.........
Impromptu guests and nothing to feed em?
Love coconut?
This is the recipe for you.

 I was fortunate to be given this recipe from my friend Natasha. It was handed down to her from her Grandmother (and handed across to me!!) I've changed it a bit, but it's basically the same.

 My 3pickles are hungry little guys. Pickle #2 is currently going through a growth spurt and Pickle #1 will eat a whole roast chicken on his own (if I let him). So when they get home from school, they need a snack. I usually give them something healthy like vegetable sticks, hommus and crackers. Occasionally, I'll give them a sweet treat like this coconut bread, with a tall glass of milk. When it's home made at least I know what's really in it, right?
This recipe is so quick and easy to make that you could do it with your eyes closed. 
I love quick and easy.
 COCONUT BREAD

1 cup dessicated or shredded coconut (I've used both & they work out fine)
1 cup of self raising flour
3/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of milk
pinch of ground cinnamon

Method
Mix all of the ingredients together and spoon into a lined loaf tin.
Bake at 180 degrees C (365F) for about 45-50 mins (just test with a skewer)
Remove from the oven and while still warm, top with dollops of butter and cinnamon sugar.

Cinnamon Sugar
Combine 2 tablespoons of caster sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.


 I ALWAYS forget to buy caster sugar, so I just "blitz" some regular sugar for a second or two in my little bullet machine. You can make pure icing sugar this way too, just "blitz" a little longer until you get a powder (great for making Royal Icing). Heaps cheaper too.


 Um, yeah, this shot isn't "set up"....Could have been worse
As I write this post, I've noticed that there is no coconut bread left.
:(
So, I guess blogging is the new form of dieting....at least for me.
I'd love to know what your "quickie" recipe is. Can you let me know in the comments below and if you have blogged about it, I'd love you to leave a link to share.

PS: Don't forget to eat it warm.


Linking to

Nap-Time Creations
PhotobucketThe Stuff of Success
Good Life Wednesdays

6 comments

  1. My mumma will be so proud to know her recipe lives on :) Thanks Marns, Love Tash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh la la Marnie! That looks so good. I've never seen it done with that melted topping before. Gonna try that one. My quick 'go to' recipe is the No Fuss Fudge Cake that can be transformed into so many things. Great one to whip up when the oven's on. No eggs, milk etc.

    http://domesblissity.blogspot.com/2011/11/best-chocolate-cake-recipe.html

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious, I will be making it this weekend. I recently posted a recipe for Strawberries & Cream Heart Cakes which I thought was 'cheating' but everyone who has had them can't stop talking about them. The recipe is here: http://mybirthdayparty.org/2011/11/21/strawberries-cream-heart-cakes/.
    Thanks again for your recipe.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks deeelish! I want to try making it, it reminds me of macaroons, only moister which would be wonderful.
    My quickie recipe is this really simple Chicken Tortilla Soup I've mastered over the last year or two, Hubby loves it, and it takes all but 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made a similar recipe for years, though without the cinnamon, but with 1C sugar. We like to change it up and add a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder, makes it taste like a lamington, adding a can of crushed pineapple(drained) is yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good. I'm gonna have to give this recipe a try. Nice photos, too. Found you at Wow Us Wednesday and I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Please feel free to leave one.